@cosmicgirlie
Due Date: 04/21/2009
Week: 20+4 days
Month: 5
Trimester: 2
Fetus Age: 19 weeks
Heartbeat: 139 bpm
Time to Go: 135 days
Size: Canteloupe. You're shittin' me, right?

SCAN SCAN SCAN !!!!!!!!

OMG Scan THURSDAY!!!! I'M STILL IN AWE!!!!

IT'S A...


...









BABEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, sorry peeps, didn't find out the gender. But we did find out it looks quite like Skeletor.




And it's going to be a ballet dancer. Or maybe a boxer.




Either way it's cute with a round head and squishy cheeks already and a spine and stuff.






There were no clues whatsover regarding gender, and we didn't ask either. We couldn't believe how much it was moving around though; we actually watched it flip over so it's back was upwards, legs and arms all over the place. Mme Sonographer looked, um, bemused when she measured the head. Then commenced a conversation which sounded familiar to us:

Mme Sonographer: Uh...I'm just going to measure the head again.

Me: Yep, that's fine.

D: Yeah I think we're used to that.

Mme S: So you're not surprised if it's meauring big?

Me: Nope. Noah was pretty much 11lbs when he was born.

Mme S: ...excuse me??

So on my charts T.O.O. is measuring nearly 1½ weeks early. Oh and hey! Guys!! Remember all you folks from last time when I said "yeah yeah, it's measuring WEEKS ahead, and I think it's gonna be huge" and you were all, like "Oh ya, they say that to everyone" and I was like, "No but seriously, this thing is HUGE!" and you were all like "ya...whatever, get over it now" and then I gave birth to a GIANT and you were all, kinda like, "Uh, wtf?".

And I was like "BITCHES!"

So yeah uh, maybe this time we'll JUST WAIT AND SEE huh? I had an appointment with the consultant registrar yesterday and we discussed Pushing the Button. Needless to say, she made the world's biggest issue about Shoulder Dystocia, which I fully understood and appreciated. I was kinda sad at the same time, because I felt a bit like I was being goaded into going to hospital, and she seemed to miss the point that actually, everything could go ok.

BUT, of course I understand why she was doing it. She has to cover her own back, I have to be sensible and realistic, and (quote) she doesn't want me to blame them if it all went wrong. That I can understand.

I guess the biggest things for me are the facts that:


  • I've done it once, I can do it again.
  • I will freak the fuck out if I have to give birth in hospital.
  • 2nd babies aren't always bigger.
  • Shoulder Dystocia occurs in about 1% of births.
I'm stubborn, I'm fully aware of that. However, I also know how I function, and what the hell scares me, and what the hell doesn't. Lady Registrar could clearly see that I was trying to make sensible decisions, and that I wouldn't try to be a hero if things started to go wrong. In agreement, however, we'll be having growth scans at 28 and 30 weeks.

Sure I don't want a Caesarian, but I'm not about to endanger my life or more importantly T.O.O.'s life for the sake of a home birth. But surely it's not quite fair to predict doom and gloom on any birth when let's face it; every single birth in the world is filled with a certain number of risks.

There's an irony to be had here. With Noah, I regularly told health professionals that it was going to be huge. No one listened. No one batted an eyelid. In fact they told me not to be silly. Now I'm still all laid back and just want to get on with it, no panic in my eyes, cool and confident. And they're all shitting themselves.

Does that even begin to make sense to you?
2 Responses
  1. Artie Says:

    those are beautiful. And since I have ballet training, I would say that with the bent knee (what we call "sloppy legs" in ballet) you're looking at a soccer player. Maybe a Mia Hamm since the toe was almost pointed.
    anyway, a cantaloupe. And no, they aren't shitting you. YOU will be shitting that cantaloupe in a dozen weeks. LOL Oh wait, you don't shit anymore, do you?
    I'll have you know I am laughing so fucking hard at myself right now. And I know you're calling me a bitch.
    And of course you won't endanger the baby and you'll be sensible. A hospital would not be the worst thing ever, really. In the end, you still get a beautiful baby.
    However I will tell you that Amanda was a full pound less than Cliff. So the bigger 2nd baby rule...Idanno. I think gender plays a role too. I won't even begin to mention my children's birth weights because I'm pretty sure you will come to the states and kick my wide child bearing ass.
    You know what? I think you were just 11 months pregnant when you gave birth to Noah. He walked freakishly early, especially for a boy. Maybe he's really just always been alot older than your doctor told you! =)
    great ultrasounds! congrats!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Wow, GORGEOUS pics!!! Perhaps T.O.O is gonna be a drummer? I still think J might be- he was all arms and legs everywhere on the scans, and nothing's changed...
    I totally agree that you should have a home birth if everything is going to plan. Like you said, you've done it once. But if things do go pear shaped, hospital's not the worst thing in the world. They really looked after me, and even though I had to have an emergency caesarean, they got my beautiful boy out safely. That's the main thing - you both being ok. Only push the button if you have to?
    Sending lots of love to you all. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    PS. LOVE the pis of Noah on your last post. He is SOOO cute! New phone and a new car? Lucky girl!