@cosmicgirlie
This is going to be a very difficult post to write. Difficult because I feel the judgement/eye-rolling/assvice before I've even started, which really isn't fair on yourselves. Sooooo...maybe I'll just get to the point.

I still firmly believe something is "up" with Noah's speech.

*Dodges several eyeballs rolling across the floor*

I'm not saying he's dumb, I'm not saying he'll never learn to speak...and of course, I was intrigued by the various messages from you the last time I posted about this. The one thing I noticed, however, was that, to be honest...well...

...no one was actually really reassuring for me. People say a mother's instinct is strongest of all (or something like that; I totally made that up), and yet, I feel like everyone is completely making me doubt myself. Or, I'm making me doubt myself. Or, I'm just so fucking highly strung right now and hating myself for thinking something so bad about my own kid.

I've researched my eyeballs out (yes, that's a real phrase) and this post kind of says what I want to say, only far better than I could say it. I guess it's the whole, "I feel there's something wrong, can someone please just hear me out for 5 minutes and stop trying to tell me otherwise?"

I don't want something to be wrong. I'm pushing at this because I want to know it's going to be OK.

Noah now says three words. Mama, dada and nana. He makes the noises for a whole bunch of other words, including words he used to say. Like "Lee" is now "nnnnn". Isaac is now "guh". Ironically, car is "AHH" (like many other things). He doesn't bother saying teeth anymore. Twenty is just about still with us ("tehty") and no is "OWW". And caps are because he shouts. A lot. Like, sweet shiteness with some fluffy earmuffs, kiddo my EARS. PLEASE.

I don't question his hearing. Dude can hear a pin drop when he wants to. I have a giggle with him every so often by whispering to him when he's not looking, and he always responds with whatever.

When he tries a word he can't say, his head starts to shake and his mouth works furiously; he stares at the ground trying to work out how to say the word, and the frustration creeps over his face. His mouth moves a little more. He nods his head like he's trying to shake the word out of his mouth. And then waits for me to repeat it. I do. And he does the above.

Rinse and repeat as needed.

I will be making him an appointment tomorrow with the doctor. I had casually mentioned my thoughts to Ms HV a few weeks ago, and she chose not to hear me out and dismissed me before I was even done. Which of course got me even more wound up. And then she pissed me off completely by suggesting that the sign language has caused him to speak later because he "doesn't feel the need", and so finds it "easier and lazier" (yes, QUOTE) to resort to sign language.

Hey people? If you're going to suggest things like that? I suggest you check info like this. I'm doing my research, please make sure you do yours.

I don't mean to be snarky. I don't want to be snarky. I think I just want someone to hear me out. And then when he's quoting Shakespeare in a few months time, you can all tell me "told you so". And I'll go into hiding for a little while.


* I was going to name this post "The One Where I Snap Y'all Hands Off In a Really Snarky Pissy Kinda Way", but didn't think that would be a great start. See? I care about each and every one of you. I really do.
Labels: , | edit post
5 Responses
  1. Hey lady, don't worry about hurting our feelings. We're just readers who are all miles(oceans in my case)away. We can do our best to give you advice based on what we read on your blog, but that's about as far as our experience goes. You're the Momma and you're the one who's there living it every day. You do what's best for your son and for your sanity. Hugs and support, lady. You're doing the best thing for you and your family.


  2. Do what you need to do. I had a child with speech issues. People kept saying he would talk eventually. He didn't speak until he was three and I wish I had gotten him help sooner.


  3. bushra Says:

    oh no, if you feel you have readers ready to judge you they are not worthy. i agree with BeautifulWreck, do what you need to do. i think it's great that you are picking up on something like this, and are aware that the only way to resolve this is by getting to the bottom of it. so yeah, do what you gotta do!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I have no wisdom to impart mainly because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing in this parenting lark. Other than to say if you feel something isn't right then you should definitely go see the dr. It certainly seems like he's frustrated so could be something, could be nothing. But you seem to be at the stage where you need someone to tell you either way. And HV - pile of shite. I don't know much but I know that!! :) Milo will do what milo wants to do when Milo is ready. Enough! I come to you for advice woman not some nondescript bollocks answer.

    What I can tell you is my niece had speech development issues due to having ear infections and colds at critical times of learning word development, she saw speech therapist and all got sorted. And alan's brother for some reason just didn't speak for 3 years, just grunted. No reason ever found. One day he just started talking. Odd but true.

    And thats all I've got for you :) Probably no help whatsoever but never one to read and run

    xxx

    looks like I have to be anonymous to post this but I'm sure you'll know who I am :)


  5. Follow your gut. No one knows your kid like you do and if your wrong well then your wrong but if your right then your right and you'll be happy you pushed.

    In the end there is nothing wrong with fighting for your kid and wanting the absolute best for him!