@cosmicgirlie
Due Date: 04/21/2009
Week: 29+0 days
Month: 7
Trimester: 3
Fetus Age: 27 weeks
Time to Go: 76 days
Size: Average, with built in swimming pool

You see, GTT is actually a form of torture. GTT actually does not stand for Glucose Tolerance Test.

It stands for:

Get The pregnant lady to spew up anything we give her and make her retch for a good half hour after the Torture.

So no, we weren't successful this morning. I got about three quarters of the way through the drink, retching all the way, and finally threw some back up. Lovely. Which meant the test was immediately over. AFTER they had already jabbed me with the needle and taken blood and the rest.

If you've never had a GTT, you're required to fast for 14 hours beforehand (which is just as well I failed because I may have eaten 11½ hours earlier...). So pregnant lady, empty stomach. Let's just remember that.

They then take your blood, which I have no problem with. Needles do not phase me. What DID phase me, was the cup of warm, tropical flavoured Lucozade, which had the consistency of phlegm. THAT did not go down so well. I took a sip at first and immediately felt my stomach churn. I knew this would not go well.

So I took a humongous swig in the hope that I could just get it down faster. I started heaving and brought a tiny bit back up. Which, stupidly, I swallowed again straight away. Psyched up for the home stretch I took another large swig and DING DING DING!! JACKPOT!! Up it came.

Test over. So I go back in the morning to do it again! I can't wait.

However, the good news that came out of this morning was that the (LOVELY AWESOME FAB) midwives at the hospital don't think there's cause for concern with the whole polyhydramnios thing; they reckon my levels are in the normal range. They're speaking to the consultants to see if I need referral, but it's unlikely. And they're still convinced I'll get my home birth. BUT I do need to do the GTT again because of the potential link between the two.

I'm trying to understand most of this, and follow the lingo and jargon, and surprisingly, I'm still not worried at this stage. I'm not sure why, I don't know if I should be worried, but no, still not phased.

I would, however, like to tell you all about the fact that my son and I share EVERYTHING. Today whilst he was sat on my lap for a cuddle watching tv, my own case of excess F.O.F. caught me off guard. I dripped watery snot directly into his hair. Of course I wiped it out immediately. He didn't even notice.

See how loving, caring and sharing we are in our house?
3 Responses
  1. Samantha Says:

    Ugh! No offense, I'm SO glad that I don't have to do the GTT!! {Of course, I have to stick myself with needles everyday instead....} I hope the retest today goes much better!!


    XOXO


  2. Anonymous Says:

    And now the non-pregnant lady here is also retching. Cheers for that, sounds really pleasant - I can't wait to read about the second test! (When I stop retching I might feel sorry for you. I'm a bit busy right now....)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


  3. Artie Says:

    OH do I feel your pain. the GTT IS torture. who the hell thought of that shit? I was so nauseated with amanda the whole pregnancy and having to take that test just SUCKS. first of all the obvious gross factor. But the hungry factor is equally compelling. the woman is pregnant. move out of the way I'm hungry.
    also, I don't sit still well at all. So go drink this drink and be nauseated. Come back and see us every hour and do that 3 times. I bout lost my mind just stuck there for the 3 hours. gawd I hated that!
    hope it comes back fine.
    no word yet? no news is good!
    what flavor is your grossness? here the orange one is palatable. its cold and it tastes like very sweet flat orange soda. not bad really until it hits your stomach.